Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Project And Happy Fun Time

Since it's been a while since I've last posted here, I figured it'd be a good idea to post something of this sort. Reason it's been so long since last post? I just forgot to come back, really. I'm not one for writing something frequently, I tend to write longer essays than shorter blurbs. That being said, I've started and put on hold many projects since I've last posted here.

One of my more recent projects being a local multi-player game where you and another player build a team from a list of fantasy units and fight it out in 2D, turn-based combat, similar to the Gameboy: Advance game Advance Wars, minus the building/conquering. It had a decent variety of units, some ~25 units (planned out twice that) with their own pros/cons and castable spells and abilities. The game was planned to be made in a month for a little challenge I wanted to try out called OneGameAMonth. I ended up continually coming up with more and more units so I decided to extend the length of development an extra couple weeks to accommodate it and as a result I held off finishing it within that first month. Ultimately I spent maybe 5-6 weeks on it. There are plenty of things I would like to go back and change or add, but that's for another time, for now I'll just stick to what I started today.

Today, well technically two days ago, I started working on a new game that is going to be a rogue-like RPG with very basic 2D sprite-based graphics. I've played a few of these types of games over the years and I figured it's about time I try making one. Recently I was inspired to revisit a game I enjoyed as a kid Castle of the Winds only to be disappointed by the fact that I couldn't run it on my Windows 7 64-bit operating system. It turns out it was a 16-bit application and doesn't work with 64-bit systems, so I'll have to find some other way of playing it in the future. This also fits nicely with the recent Java programming I've revisited. I've done a little bit in the past and followed along The Cherno's Java Game Programming video series on youtube this past week to refresh my memory. Thanks Reddit for bringing this series to my attention some months ago when he posted his first video there.

Anyways. I'll go into a bit more depth about the game in another post. For now, that's all.

~ RogueTemplar

No comments:

Post a Comment