Thursday, April 11, 2013

Heart Realm Day 4... 5? I Don't Know What Day It Is. I'll Just Start Labeling These As Updates Instead. Update #002

So it's been a week since I last posted anything in the subject of Heart Realm. To be honest I was going to, except I felt that the progress I made over the past few days of actually working on the game wasn't too significant. It turns out trying to program while watching various youtube videos or movies on the second monitor can sometimes be distracting. Despite the distractions, I still spent a decent amount of time programming a bit and drawing a few sprites.

The reason there wasn't a post earlier was simple, there wasn't much visible progress. I pretty much spent the past few days laying out the Character, Item, Weapon, and Armor classes that are used for handling the player's stats and the various item types, respectively. Basically I felt it was too boring to really talk too much about as one day I spent just creating a few of those classes and naming some variables, that's it. Aside from that I also worked out how I'd like to handle the weapons in the game. Like many new designers, or just a lot of designers in general I suppose, I took inspiration from one of my favorite games, Dark Souls. I decided I wanted the weapons to work in a mix between Dark Souls and Dungeons & Dragons; version 4.0, I'm not too familiar with older versions as I've never really played D&D in general, plus the weapons are more straight-forward in 4.0 compared to 3.5 I believe.

What this all means is a weapons damage will be split into two values, a minimum value and a maximum value, giving the player a range in which the weapon will deal damage, like D&D. For example, in D&D 4.0, a generic Long Sword has a damage value of 1d8 which means it'll have a base damage of 1-8. Likewise Heart Realm will have such system. Coming from Dark Souls I very much liked the way weapons scaled off your character's attributes, Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith (Faith won't be present in this game). I decided that it was appropriate to include such a thing as well. Like most RPGs, weapon damage typically scales off the character's attributes but the game I felt does it most interestingly is Dark Souls. Each weapon will have a scaling parameter of either E, D, C, B, A, or S on any of those attributes mentioned earlier, increasing more and more from E through S, respectively.

On top of figuring out how I wanted weapons to work, I figured out the attributes for the character. Taken directly from my Game Details.txt file:


Health - How many points of damage you can receive before dying
Mana - How many points you can spend to cast spells
Vitality - Increases Health and Fortitude Defense
Strength - Increases Unarmed damage and scales weapon damage.
Dexterity - Increases Chance to hit/critical hit and some weapon damage
Agility - Determines how frequently you can act in combat and determines Reflex Defense
Wisdom - Increases Mana reneration and Will Defense
Intelligence - Increases some Magic Damage and your Mana pool

Basic Damage - How much damage you deal with a basic attack
Attack Rate - How likely you are able to hit something with a basic attack (Used to make large heavier weapons feel slower, despite the turn-based combat)
Armor - How much damage you mitigate when receiving physical damage
Fortitude - Defense against some stuns, slows, poison, burn, and many negative status effects that affect the body
Reflex - Chance to dodge/block basic attacks, various projectile type weapons and some offensive magic
Will - How much damage you mitigate when receiving magic damage and some negative status efffects that affect the mind
Resistances/Vulnerabilities - Reduces/Increases incoming damage of the various elements. Elements include: Acid, Lightning, Poison, Fire, Frost, Necrotic, Thunder, Radiant, Psychic, Force, Arcane

Though I've listed quite a few elements (taken from D&D 4.0), I'm not sure what will end up in the final game, but that does give me a nice sampling to work with. If I feel I can justify having all of those, I will keep them all in, if not, there's no point keeping them in.

That being all said, I have got each of these stats working in the game, though most have no functionality tied to them yet and won't until later systems are implemented.

Now I leave you with a couple new screenshots showing off the new armor sprites, and some weapon icons that will be used on the inventory screen.




I think that's enough for today's post.

~ Rogue Templar

No comments:

Post a Comment