Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Long Posts and A New Project

So this post was originally going to be a part of my previous post, but since it was pretty long I decided to split them up. From the post editing page, it doesn't look like too much, but once I preview it, it looks like I've written a lot more than I actually did.

I have been working on  my own personal project recently, though my team, Last Day Studios, will continue to create games together. I've been working on a 2D game engine coded in Java, I'm still in an early stage of it, but it's coming along nicely thus far. After looking around on the internet, though with not too much research, I've found that there aren't a lot of 2D game engines out there because they're generally simple to make compared to a 3D game engine and they're usually made for a specific type of game too. For example, RPG Maker is used for RPGs, though through some modification in the coding/scripting it can be used for other types of games, but it's built to be used on RPGs only. Another 2D engine out there is Game Maker, but it's far too simple for my programming needs, which is why I've never really liked it compared to like XNA using C#, or more recently Java, which is a new language for me. Some of the main reasons I'm using Java instead of some other language is: it's been easy to learn so far, it's fairly easy to use, I've always wanted to learn Java and this gave me a good excuse to learning it, also it crosses many platforms.

With all that being said, this engine of mine I'm building using Java to be a 2D engine that will be used in a Top-Down Shooter type of game similar to the Battlefield series in how it plays, or at least that's how I envision it. Right now there aren't a whole lot of Top-Down 2D shooters out there, aside from say your Galaga style game, but none in the similar competitive nature as the Battlefield series or many of the 3D First-Person Shooters out there. I wanted to capture that type of gameplay but using a Top-Down perspective. Of course this won't be a Battlefield clone just in 2D, which alone can be different enough as a game as it's own. Also, I plan on releasing all content creation tools that I'll be making with this game, map editor, weapon editor, class editor, vehicle editor, and any other sort of tool I create to make modding simpler. Of all the different types of games out there, one thing I know that brings people back to games that seem like they could be stale after awhile are the mods that are available for that game. By allowing people to create their own weapons, maps, vehicles, etc., with ease, you could end up playing a completely different style of death-match. So far I plan on making this game with a modern combat theme, but it could easily turn into a Star Wars themed shooter, or a medieval death-match game with knights, archers, footman, etc. I want this game to be a modular style game, because those are the types of games many people love, like myself. As for available game modes, I plan on this being a multi-player game, though I do hope to get bots in there sometime, but player versus player gameplay will be my first priority and I can always create some kind of single-player campaign later on through some kind of expansion if things go well.

As the weeks go by, I'll try my best to post some status updates on this project as well as screen shots, videos, etc., if any, because I haven't been posting much on here and this will give me a chance to get feedback from people early on.

~ RogueTemplar (a.k.a Icedmetal57)

No comments:

Post a Comment