Sunday, January 31, 2016

The Return

It's been a while since I've posted here. Why is that? I just honestly haven't made it a habit to write here and I've just gotten caught up in life in general.

To start off I'm now officially working in the video game industry (for more than a year now). I started off at a company by the name of Phosphor Games as a QA tester working there on two different contracts for 9 months with a 2 month break between those contracts. At Phosphor I started off testing a game called WARP for Android and iOS that was unfortunately cancelled prematurely ending my contract with Phosphor. I returned 2 months later to work on a couple games one that was recently released, Gemini: Heroes Reborn for Xbox One, PS4, and PC, as well as Heroes Reborn: Enigma for Android and iOS that was released last fall. I also did a little bit of testing when needed for the game Corpse of Discovery, released last August for PC.

After working at Phosphor Games I was looking to continue working in the Chicago game industry. A few weeks later, back in August, I started working at Wargaming, as a QA tester, where I'm at currently, working on the console version of World of Tanks for Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

So far it's been great working in this industry as it's exactly what I expected to be, just a bunch of cool people who make or contribute in some other way to games being made.

Work life aside, I've participated in a few more Ludum Dares, with only one with which I'd consider a success in completing a game. Other than the Ludum Dare game I've already posted about, Rush Delivery, I made a game called Goblin's Plight.

I have also started and set aside various other game projects, one of which was a board game I started over a year ago that was based on my game Flame and Steel Tactics. I started working on it, made cards in photoshop, wrote the rules, printed off the "board" on some paper for some test sessions, but never actually tested it out. I hadn't touched it in over a year until I was gifted a copy of Tabletop Simulator a month ago. With the power of Tabletop Simulator I imported all the cards, and pieces and started playtesting by myself. It turns out, the game is in a very rough state, no surprise. The first match lasted over 3 hours, way too long for what I wanted, so I modified the rules slightly and played again. Second match lasted a little over 2 hours, again too long, so now I'm planning on reworking some things, as to what, I'll save that for another post at a later time. Link to Tabletop Simulator Workshop item. Link for playtest data.

Another project I've been working on, was a website dedicated to counter picking heroes for Dota 2. I started on it in October 2014, but set it aside until recently (this past month) I've returned to it to continue working on it. I've only worked on it here and there for little spurts at a time so it's nowhere near finished, but this is what it looks like in its current state, example of Pudge's page. I'm currently going through and doing all the tedious data entry type stuff, entering hero abilities, while occasionally working on the site itself. It's no where near ready for public use, but I'll just leave it at that. I'll get into it a bit more in a later post some time, definitely when I "launch" it at version 1.0.

The big thing now is that I've just started working on Heart Realm again. It's a game that I'm definitely still interested in and so I've decided now to continue working on it again. Though with some big changes. Firstly, I've decided to make the game in Unity instead of in Java with a bunch of various libraries and whatnot. Secondly, I'll be reworking some of the various systems and stats. I've taken notes over the past year or whatever it's been since I've last worked on it, on various things I feel need to be changed so that's something that will be coming. I don't want to get too in-depth about these changes in this post as it's already getting pretty lengthy so I'll just make a separate post for that.

Another new thing for me is that I've recently gotten into the genre Melodic Death Metal, so I've been listening to a few new favorite bands of mine a lot: Be'lakor, Insomnium, and Omnium Gatherum.

With that I'll leave you with an appropriate song for this post. The Return

~ RogueTemplar

No comments:

Post a Comment