Friday, November 5, 2010

Introduction / About Me / My Recent Experiences

With this blog, I plan to post updates and info on my projects relating to game development, and possibly many other things related to game development or video games.

I'm currently in my last semester at DeVry University in Illinois, the Chicagoland area, more specifically, and I, along with a few classmates, are currently in the early stages of developing our senior project due at the end of February. Personally I have been the lead programmer for our small team and have done a bit of programming in my free time, while creating my own personal projects here and there. I have been programming for around 6 years or so, most of it as a hobby, and now I'm hoping to make a career out of it. As I mentioned, the purpose of this blog is to post updates and info relating to my projects, both with my team, Last Day Studios, and of my own personal projects. I will even post some of my older work at some time.

Here's a little time line of my experience within the past year. Why just the past 1 year? Because it's been some of my better work, and is most recent to seeing my experience, which as I mentioned, I'm only a college student.

Recently within the past year I have created a 2 dimensional top-down zombie shooter for one of my school courses, created within the XNA framework using C# as the programming language, which if you're new to programming, especially game programming, I highly recommend you check out XNA, it's a really nice platform.

After creating that top-down shooter, I started working on my own RTS engine, though I only worked on it for a few days, I still got further than I thought I would, I actually had something decent for having only worked on it for like 3 days. That RTS engine was also being programmed in XNA. Why? Because I really like XNA for many reasons, and so I use it a lot. That little project of mine was only intended to last me a couple weeks because at the time it was my winter break, which was only 2 weeks long, but since I got busy with the holidays and whatnot I put an indefinite hold on that project. Though some day I hope to go back to it in the future, as well as redoing my top-down zombie shooter, hoping to put it on Xbox Live as a community game, which is one of the great things about XNA.

After working on that RTS project of mine I kind of went on a programming break for the next 2 months, until  around February and early March. In late February and early March I, along with my team members of Last Day Studios, worked on another 2 dimensional top-down shooters, this time we created a multi-player tank deathmatch sort of game, which we created with the intention of bringing with us to the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco that March. With only having worked on that game for a week before the conference and the week we were in San Francisco the following week, we managed to get some basic playability which was actually sort of fun. Though we never did go much further than basic drive around and shoot at each other on an open map, which was just a field of grass, the game was actually some what fun, especially when testing with 4 people. After our visit to GDC we did not return to that project, unfortunately. Like the other projects I mentioned thus far, this was also created in XNA, and again, I hope to some day finish this project of mine.

After that little tank game we created in 2 weeks, I have been on a break, pretty much since, though I have done a little bit of programming using the engine RPG Maker XP, which is what got me started with programming games. But other than that I haven't done anything serious since that tank game, which really had no name, from what I can recall.

That leaves us with what's going on right now. Right now, as of last week, we have started development in creating a 3 dimensional side-scrolling beat 'em up similar to Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World for our senior project, or our final school-related project, also being created in XNA. Because we are currently working on this project, which we plan on tacking onto our portfolios, I don't want to include too many details until further in development, also because I just don't want to reveal too many details about it just yet.

Well, that's a bit about me and my recent experience with game development as a lead programmer of my team. After having written this, you can probably see why I didn't go through all of my years of experience, even though I currently can remember the majority of things I have done in my past relating to game development. It would take me a while to write it all. That being said, any future posts I make, I won't plan on making them this long, though because this is my first one here, I can't exactly promise that.

~ RogueTemplar (a.k.a Icedmetal57)

No comments:

Post a Comment